We all love free stuff, right? But sometimes, those freebies you find online can be too good to be true. Free file transfer tools are no different.
Your files are a core piece of your business, no matter what you do, and you should be guarding them at all costs. Using a free file transfer tool puts you at risk and this is only amplified if you’re sending client files and data, too.
Of course, there are some upsides to free file transfer services, especially when you need to send a one-off file and you don’t have any security concerns. But if your needs are wider, it makes sense to have a secure platform that ensures you’re compliant and your data isn’t at risk.
Unfortunately, services like Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive are vulnerable to these risks — including hacking, unrestricted access and file manipulation. While these tools are user-friendly, it’s important your business operates securely and confidently, especially when you’re handling sensitive data.
The good news is, there’s a more secure way to move files around.
Managed File Transfer Solutions
A managed file transfer (MFT) solution allows you to do all of your file transferring through one cloud-based service. There are some free versions available but if you want to send files securely, you need to look at paid options.
A paid-for MFT solution ensures you’re compliant with regulatory requirements such as PCI, HIPAA, and GDPR. You also get centralized access controls, file encryption, and activity tracking to ensure reliability and compliance.
A solution such as MOVEit Cloud can do all this and more.
What an MFT can do that a free service can’t
If you’re considering moving to a cloud-based MFT such as MOVEit, you’ll want to know exactly what you’re getting. Here’s what an MFT service can do that free file transfer tools are often lacking.
- Compliance: An MFT will help you meet regulations, including HIPAA, PCI DSS, GDPR, and FISMA. Free tools won’t give you the ability to meet these requirements.
- Secure encryption: Most open-source applications do not meet federal encryption standards. Encryption, alongside secure transfer protocols, means your data is safe.
- Audit trails and reporting: To stay compliant, file transfers need to be auditable. This means you need logs of all file transfer and administrator activity.
- Large transfer capability: Many free tools have limits on the size of an individual file, or on total transfer size. An MFT service allows secure transfers of files of any size.
- Automations: Using an MFT solution means you can send your files more effectively with managed workflows.
- The power of the cloud: Having your files in the cloud means you have ultimate flexibility when transferring files between offices or with remote staff and clients.
- Tailored support: The customer service you get from an MFT solution often goes above and beyond what you’d get with a free tool. In fact, with most free tools, you won’t get any support at all. An MFT solution not only provides support but training too.
Do more with MOVEit Cloud
MOVEit is both flexible and scalable meaning it works with your business and its needs. This means that you don’t need additional services or hardware as your business grows.
For peace of mind for you and your clients, MOVEit Cloud is PCI DSS 3.1 Level 1 certified and ready to ensure GDPR compliance.
You’ll always have the latest in security technology with MOVEit Cloud as it’s regularly updated. You’ll get a number of layers of defense including FIPS 140-2 certified cryptography, access control, integrity checking, penetration testing, and much more.
If you’d like to find out more about MOVEit Cloud and how an MFT solution can increase your company’s security and productivity, take a look here.